St. Thomas’ Hospital Ward Register

The following entries come from the St. Thomas’ Hospital Ward Register 1858-1866, held at the London Metropolitan Archives (reference H01/ST/C/02/002, the pages are unnumbered).

The hospital was located in Southwark until 1862, when it left its ancient site to make way for railway construction. The hospital was temporarily housed at Royal Surrey Gardens in Newington until re-locating to its present site in Lambeth in 1871 – hence the references to “Surrey Gdns” and the old hospital.

The book lists nursing staff employed on the individual wards as staff nurses (S.N.) or night nurses (N.N.).

Entries below relate to:


_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Female Surgical Ward at Surrey Gdns.

Name Age When appointed   Duty when discharged Remarks
J. Squires 29 24 July 1862 S. N. 8 July 1863 Sent as Nurse to County Hospl. Dorset

.

The following note was written against this entry and some others: “All transferred from the Old Hospl.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Female Surgical W. at Surrey Gdns.

Name Age When appointed   Duty when discharged Remarks
B. Lillcrapp 34 24 June 1863 N. N. 24 March 1864 Sent as Nurse to the General Hospl. Northampton

 

Advertisements