Weymouth Dispensary & Royal Infirmary

FOUNDED   1816 (as the Weymouth Royal Dispensary). Infirmary opened 1836. Known as the Weymouth Royal Hospital from 1871. In 1921 absorbed by the Princess Christian Hospital, and renamed the Weymouth and District Hospital.

LOCATION   St. Mary Street, Weymouth. From 1836, at Maiden Street, Weymouth. From 1871, at School Street, Weymouth.

BIBLIOGRAPHY   None

MISCELLANEOUS TRANSCRIPTS

1851 CENSUS

Type of resident Male Female Total
Medical staff 0 0 0
Nursing staff 0 1 1
Dispensary staff 0 0 0
Portering staff 0 0 0
Domestic staff 0 1 1
Patients 2 3 5
Others 1* 0 1
Total 3 5 8

Reference: HO HO107/1857, folio 257, page 8   *The matron’s husband (a shipwright) was also resident

DATABASES

ORIGINAL RECORDS   There are no surviving pre-1900 records

PATIENT RECORDS