Salisbury & Winchester Journal

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Monday 11 February 1839, page 3

Robert WILLIAMS, Esq., of Bridehead, has, with a feeling of princely liberality, presented a piece of freehold land in Dorchester, well adapted for the projected Infirmary which is about to be erected in that town.  The land and buildings on it are supposed to be worth not less than 1500l.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Monday 3 February 1840, page 4

DORSET COUNTY HOSPITAL. BUILDERS, desirous of CONTRACTING for the ERECTION of the NORTH WING of the said HOSPITAL, may inspect the Plans and Specifications on and after 3d of February, upon application to Dr. Jackson, Dorchester, any day between the hours of 10 A. M. and 2 P. M. until the 15th of February inclusive; or obtain further particulars by letter to Mr. B. Ferrey, the Architect, 85, Great Russell-street, Bedford-square, London. The party contracting will be required to enter into a Bond, with two sufficient Securities, for the due performance of the Works. The Tenders must be sealed, and endorsed “Tender for Building the North Wing of the Dorset County Hospital,” and be left with Dr. Jackson, on or before the 21st of February.

JAMES A. TEMPLAR, F. JACKSON  }  Provisional Secretaries.

DORCHESTER, Jan. 29, 1840.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Monday 11 May 1840, page 3

The foundation of the Dorset County Hospital was laid last week, and the building is now being rapidly proceeded with.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 5 February 1848, page 4

On Sunday morning, the 29th inst., W. D. TAPP, Esq., removed the right breast of Eliza SATCHELL, a patient in the Dorset County Hospital, for a tumour of a malignant character (medullary sarcoma), which weighed 2¼lbs.  The operation was performed under the influence of Chloroform, and was the only means of giving her a chance of recovery.  Up to the present time the patient has been progressing most favourably ; but no very sanguine hopes of her restoration to health can be entertained, as the disease is constitutional, and therefore liable to return to any other part of the body.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 2 August 1856, page 3

THE LATE RIGHT HON. GEORGE BANKES has bequeathed 500l. to the Dorset County Hospital, towards building a new wing to that excellent institution; and his esteemed widow has generously presented a like sum for the same charitable purpose.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 16 January 1858, page 7 (Annual Governors’ Meeting)

DORSET COUNTY HOSPITAL.

The general anniversary meeting of the governors of this excellent institution was held in the Board-room on Thursday se’nnight.  H. N. MIDDLETON, Esq., High Sheriff, occupied the chair; and among those present were the Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, J. WALMSLEY, Esq., E. L. KINDERSLEY, Esq., Rev. Prebendary FOOT, Dr. COWDELL, Rev. J. FISHER, Rev. H. MOULE, Rev. T. W. KNIPE, Rev. E. LUDLOW, Rev. R. S. EATON, Rev. G. L. NASH, Rev. J. B. CREE, George WARRY, Es., J. P. HODGES, Esq., J. R. TOOZE. Esq., J. GARLAND, Esq., Mr. L. LUCKHAM, Mr. G. MAYO, jun., &c.

The Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, chairman of the committee, read the annual report, from which we make the following extracts:-

The pressure for admission has been greater than for the last five years; and, consequently, not only has all the available accommodation, especially for male patients, been occupied during a considerable part of the year, but not unfrequently applicants have had to wait some weeks before they could be received.

Under these circumstances, the committee would venture to impress upon the governors the importance of restricting their recommendations, as far as they can possibly ascertain, to such cases as are more peculiarly suited for hospital treatment.

The daily average of in-patients (47) as well as the total number treated during the year (404) has been in excess of any previous year; and the expenditure has been of course heavy.  In fact, upon reference to the Treasurer’s Report, it will be seen that the total income of the year has been exceeded by the sum of above 130£.  To justify this excess, the committee would plead the hope they constantly entertained that the fluctuating receipts, viz., the donations and congregational collections, would reach their average amount.

The calls which are likely to arise in the present year, for the furnishing, &c., of the Bankes’ Wing, will necessarily be great ; but the committee, from their experience of the past, look forward with much confidence to the future, relying that the county will be prepared adequately to meet the generosity of Mrs. Bankes, and thus to express their high respect and regard for her late lamented husband.

Shortly after the commencement of the year, Mr. BACOT’s health was sufficietly restored to enable him to resume the duties of House Apothecary with his accustomed efficiency and intelligence.  Under his superintendence, and that of the kind and excellent matron, the comforts and discipline of the institution have been duly maintained.

The Rev. Edward WILLIAMS, late curate of St. Peter’s, Coventry, has been elected to the vacant post Chaplain. The committe request again to draw the attention of the Governor to the Chaplaincy Fund, which, although it has received the acquisition of several new friends, still falls short of the amount required.

The committee scarcely know how to approach the mournful subject, which now remains to be noticed. In the few short hours which have elapsed since the close of 1857, the institution has sustained a grevious, and, humanly speaking, an irreparable lose. It has pleased God to deprive them, after a brief illness, of their noble and beloved patron, the Earl of ILCHESTER, whom generous and unremitting interest in the well-being of the charity has been mannifested continuously from its original projection to the very close of his life. It was not merely the benefit of an honourable and highly respected name that he bestowed upon it, but, to use the language of one who had the best opportunity of observing his course in this matter (and of whose-ever-affectionate interest in the Hospital, which he so largely contributed to establish, it has also been deprived  during the year), the late Arthur Dyke TROYTE, Esq. – “He helped it still, working its way, step by step, by his kind, and always valued, because real, patronage.”

In losing such tried, untiring, and influential friends, the committee might well be faint-hearted, if they were no assured that the work was begun in faith, and had been constantly blessed to the promotion of God’s glory in the relief of the sick and needy. They cannot, therefore, allow themselves to despond, but would rather anticipate that the solemn events, to which they have here referred, will be accepted as warnings to make new efforts in this cause, and to work whilst it is called to-day, since the night cometh, in which no man can work.

The Treasurer’s balance sheet showed that at the beginning of the year 1857 there was a balance in hand of 60£. odd. The congregational collections had amounted to 115£., which was below the average, as were also the donations, which amounted to 94£. The subscriptions had reached 1024£., which was very satisfactory, although not quite so much as the previous year. The total receipts had been 1455£. The expenditure had fallen short of the previous year, being 1584£. against 1604£. The maintenance cost per head per week had also been decreased, being now 11s 11d, against 12s 7½d the previous year.

Mr. BROWN, the clerk said at one period the maintenance cost had been 17s 11d. Mr. HODGES remarked that the ordinary rate was 14s 6d, and it was very satisfactory that, including drugs and everything else, they had reduced the rate to less than 12s.

Mr. WALMSLEY moved “That the report he recieved, adopted, and printed, under the direction of the committee.”

The Rev. J. L. NASH seconded the motion, and it was unanimously adopted.

The Rev. C. W. BINGHAM said, amongst those present none had had greater opportunities than he had of intimately knowing the kindness and generosity of Lord ILCHESTER, which was such that it had often been his duty to repress his liberality. If they would only look into the reports of the Hospital, or upon the walls of that room, they would find that he had been a most liberal supporter of the institution. He also knew himself that, besides the large amount received from his lordship in contributions from time to time, always beings ready to come forward in every emergency – he had given anonymous donations. The fact was that his lordship had again and again said to him, “You know I am ready to do what you like.” It was positively a face that he (Mr. BINGHAM) might put his hand in Lord ILCHESTER’s pocket and take out what he wished. Therefore the committee had not used one word too much when they said that, humanly speaking, his loss irreparable. In Lord ILCHESTER’s connexion with the hospital, not only was his liberality most unbounded, but it was delightful to see the special and peculiar interest which he took in all cases which came in from the locality with which he was connected. No clergyman could have taken a deeper interest in the patients who came from Melbury abd Abbotsbury. A few days ago, his lordship came to visit a little child, from his neighbourhood, to make inquiry whether its constitution would bear an operation. Many subscribed their guinea, and it was scarcely expected that they would take such a personal interest in the cases they recommended; but he always felt struck with the manner his lordship did this. He would not enlarge further upon the merits of him who had gone; and the purpose for which he rose was to make a proposition as to the institution. He felt that the highest compliment they could pay to their departed friend was to request his brother who had succeeded to the title and estates, to accept the office; and he, therefore, begged to propose “That the Right Hon. the Earl of ILCHESTER be requested to accept the office of patron of the Dorset County Hospital in the room of his late lamented brother.”

Mr. WALMSLEY concurred in all that his friend, Mr. BINGHAM, had stated, and seconded his proposition.

The motion was then put to the meeting and unanimously adopted.

The Rev. H. MOULE proposed the following gentlemen as the committee for the ensuing year :- E. L. KINDERSLEY, Esq., J. F. HODGES, Esq., J. R. TOOZE, Esq., Mr. L. LUCKHAM. G. WARRY, Esq., Rev. E. LUDLOW, Rev. T. W. KNIPE, Rev. J. R. MASKEW, Rev. M. H. GREEN, Rev. R. S. EATON, Mr. G. MAYO, jun., and Mr. J. LEGG, jun.

The Rev. J. FISHER seconded the motion,and it was carried unanimously.

Mr. KINDERSLEY proposed “That the Rev. C. W. BINGHAM be commissioned, in forwarding the request to Lord ILCHESTER, to express the sincere condolence of the meeting with him and his family at the loss which they in common with all ranks have sustained.”

Mr. LUCKHAM seconded the motion, and it was unanimously carried.

Mr. WALMSLEY proposed, and it was carried by acclamation “That the thanks of the meeting be given to the Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, the chairman of the committee, for his kind services to the hospital.”

Thanks were voted to the chairman, and the meeting separated.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 22 January 1859, page 8 (Annual Governors’ Meeting)

DORSET COUNTY HOSPITAL.-The annual meeting of the governors of this noble institution was held at the Hospital on Thursday, when the attendance was somewhat more numerous than on some previous occasions.  The Right Hon. the Earl of Ilchester presided, and called upon the Rev. C. W. Bingham, chairman of the Committee, to read the report, which acknowledged the large and unprecedented amount of support which the Dorset County Hospital has received during the 18th year of its existence.  Singularly enough, the number of in-patients has been precisely coincident with the number of the days of the year, and although this is rather less than usual, the daily average (50½) has been higher than ever heretofore.  The institution is largely indebted to the kind influence of the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, and to the Clergy, who, in compliance with his Lordship’s request that they should plead with their parishioners for thankofferings in acknowledgement of the abundant harvest, have paid over to the treasurer a sum amounting altogether to £546 0s. 5d.  The committee have also to record with much gratitude the truly magnificent donation of £1000 from Sir Richard Plumptre Glyn, Bart., recently received; so that, instead of having to lament the deficiency which, at one time they could not but apprehend, they have funded, according to custom, the legacies paid during the year, viz., £100, from the late James Sherren, Esq., and £50 from their late invaluable friend and colleague, Arthur Henry Dyke TROYTE, Esq.; they have paid off the balance of £69 5s. 6d .due to the treasurer at the beginning of the year; and, after providing for a very heavy annual expenditure, have still a  balance in the treasurer’s hand of £1261 8s. 6d.  Most gladly would they have added the whole of this surplus to the funded stock, but no inconsiderable part of it will be required to balance the building account, and also to provide furniture and fixtures of the “Bankes’ Wing,” which is now, after inevitable delays, pronounced by the architect to be ready for occupation. A statement of the building account will be appended to the report, by which it will be seen that Mrs. Bankes has most munificently supplemented Mr. Bankes’ legacy of £500 by the sum of £700.  If the present rate of admission is to be maintained, special exertions, in the form of donations, or congregational collections, must be continued for the present, since the fixed income, as it may be called, arising from subscriptions and interest, falls short by some £300 or £400 of the probable expenditure, increased as it must needs be to some slight extent by the opening of the “Bankes’ Wing.” The committee respectfully, but earnestly, reiterate their request to the Governors, contained in the last report, that they should confine their recommendations, as much as can possibly be ascertained, to such cases as really require hospital treatment, and which cannot be as effectually dealt with by the appliances of public or private charity at home.  The election of the committee of management, the appointment of officers, and other routine business, was then proceeded with. It is gratifying to state that the treasurer’s balance sheet shows the receipts to amount altogether to about £3083, which was stated to be larger than any previous year.  The cordial thanks of the meeting were voted to Sir B. P. Glyn, Bart., for his most liberal donation of £1000 to the institution; and the services of the medical officers were thankfully acknowledged. It was determined by the committee to pay the house-surgeon in future a salary of £80 instead of £60 as heretofore.  The proceedings terminated with a vote of thanks to the noble chairman.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 21 January 1860, page 7

DORSET COUNTY HOSPITAL.

The annual meeting of the Governors of this excellent institution was held in the Board-room on Thursday last. We had previously taken the opportunity of inspecting some of the wards, which we found in excellent order, perfectly ventilated, light, warm, and very comfortable. The patients, of whom the number is, we are glad to say, much under the capacities of the establishment, seemed very cheerful and well cared for. We were greatly pleased with the inspection, and would fain hope that our assurance that everything connected with the comfort of the patients is most carefully attended to, may not be without some influence in interesting in the support of this most admirable institution many in this county who ought to be subscribers, but are not at present.

R. B. SHERIDAN, Esq., M.P., was asked to fill the chair, and amongst the Governors present were John Floyer, Esq., Chas. Porcher, Esq., H. Williams, Esq., H. N. Middleton, Esq., John C. Mansel, Esq., Robert Williams, Esq., Archdeacon Buckle, Hon. and Rev. W. H. Scott, Revs. Chas. Bingham, Lundy Foot, S. Lane, Colson, H. Williams, Shirley, &c.; Dr. Cowdell, Mr. Geo. Warry, Mr. J. F. Hodges, Mr. Mayo, Mr. L. H. Ruegg, &c.

The Chairman of the Committee, the Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, read the following gratifying report:-

“Another year of remarkable and unexpected prosperity invites the committee to present their 19th annual report, with heart-felt acknowledgements of gratitude to that good and gracious God, to whose honour the hospital is dedicated, and by whose blessing it can alone be sustained.

“It will be necessary to remind the Governors that, by Sir R. P. Glyn’s munificent gift of £1,000 as well as other exceptional sources of income, the balance in the Treasurer’s hands, at the close of last year, amounted to no less than £1261 8s. 6d.

“After careful deliberation, the committee determind at once to fund £600 of this sum, reserving the remainder for the discharge of liabilities still outstanding on account of the new buildings, and for the furniture and fittings, which might be required in order to prepare the Convalescent Wards in the Bankes’ wing for the occupation of patients.

“The sum of £462 10s. 3d. was, accordingly, transferred to the Building Fund, all claims upon which had been satisfied by the legacy of £500 from the late Right Hon. Geo. Bankes, M.P., and the noble addition of £700 by his widow, whilst the latter object has also been accomplished, and has greatly contributed to the well-being of the patients. These wards will doubtless still be much improved by the application of a kind donation of £50, which an honoured member of the Bankes’ family, the Countess of Falmouth, has entrusted to Mr. Floyer for the purchase of such additional furniture, books, &c., as may render them more cheerful and comfortable.

“The legacies received during the year have been that of our late beloved patron, the Earl of Ilchester, £450; John Garland, Esq., £10; £Miss G. L. Churchill, 200; amounting so a sum of £660, which has been invested, increasing our funded property by the sum of 1260L, besides a donation of £200 stock, which does not appear in the treasurer’s statement, but which has been brought into the names of the trustees by Thomas Cockeram, Esq., to be called, in memory of his sister. ‘Miss Mary Cockeram’s Fund.’ The subscriptions – the best test of public confidence – have been in excess of every previous year, and the donations and congregational collections higher than on any other occasion, except when some special and urgent appeal has been put forth. After satisfying every demand, a balance still remains in the treasurer’s hands of £270 1s. 9d.

“The number of in-patients treated during the year has been 371, a few more than 1858, though the weekly average (48 2-13ths) has been slightly, and the number of out-patients (378) considerably less.

“The post of House Apothecary, vacant at the last annual meeting was filled early in the year by the election of Mr. D. W. Phillips, who came with high recommendations, and has discharged his duties with vigour and ability.

“The chaplaincy, about to be vacated by the resignation of Rev. Edward Williams, has been filled up this day by the election, subject to the approval of the Bishop, of the Rev. John Gerrard Davis.

“It is a cause of much thankfulness that the honorary medical officers have constantly rendered their invaluable services to the institution in perfect cordiality and harmony with the committee.

“Each new set of circumstances seem more thoroughly to call into action that rare combination of firmness, tact, and tenderness with which the matron has ever executed her most important duties.

“Amongst the losses of the year, the committee have unaffectedly to lament the death of one of their honorary secretaries, Mr. John Garland, who had long afforded them his very effective and willing help. It will devolve upon the Governors to appoint his successor to-day.

“The committee have not been able to exercise to its full extent the power accorded to them at the last annual meeting, of electing eight corresponding members, ‘to further the interests of the hospital in their respective neighbourhood,’ only two – Mr. Robert Fowler, of Winterborne Whitchurch, and Mr. Francis Pope, of Kingston Lacy – having hitherto accepted the office. – C. W. BINGHAM, Chairman.”

This was received with demonstrations of satisfaction, and was unanimously adopted and ordered to be printed.

Mr. MIDDLETON proposed Mr. J. F. Hodges as one of the hon. secretaries, in the room Mr. John Garland. Unanimously agreed to.

Eight members of the old committee were re-elected, and four fresh names added.

The Rev. S. LANE suggested that it would be well if in future the committee would agree upon four names, to be approved at this annual meeting; but it was the general opinion that this would be unadvisable, and we were glad to hear the Chairman of Committee express emphatic disapprobation of such a species of self-election. Mr. Lane’s proposition, therefore, was not pressed. At the last meeting the committee were enpowered to appoint eight corresponding members; they have appointed only two, but we heard that at least one of these gentlemen had obtained some money for the institution, and we think that if the committee would carry out the resolution, a large number of persons who do not give, because the advantages and claims of the institution are not brought immediately before them, would be added to the subscribers’ list. Thanks were voted to the medical officers, and to Mr. Sheridan for presiding, and that gentleman having briefly spoken in acknowledgement, the meeting dispersed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 5 January 1867, page 8

[This article shows that Dorset County Hospital medical officers visited wealthier accident victims rather than them coming to the hospital]

ACCIDENT.–An accident of a serious character happened to Major Frampton, an old and respected county magistrate, on Saturday last.  It appears that whilst that gentleman was shooting with a party on his estate at Moreton, he unfortunately caught his foot in the stump of a tree, and, falling on his side, broke his thigh.  Medical aid was sent for, and Mr. GOOD and Mr. ENSOR from Dorchester, proceeded to Moreton; and under their treatment it is pleasing to hear the gallant major is doing as well as can be expected.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 20 April 1867, page 7

[Mr Mr. J. R. Algernon TAYLOR was a temporary house surgeon at Dorset County Hospital]

Mr. J. R. Algernon TAYLOR, son of Mr. J. R. TAYLOR, of this town, has passed the primary examinations in anatomy and physiology at a meeting of the Court of Examiners of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 20 April 1867, page 7

SUDDEN DEATH OF MR. ALFRED ENSOR.–We deeply regret to announce the sudden death of Mr. Alfred ENSOR, House Surgeon of the Dorset County Hospital, at the age of 24, last Saturday evening.  He had been suffering from a cold for a few days, which weakened him considerably, and on Saturday morning Dr. COWDELL was sent for, and prescribed for his indisposition, though at that time no serious apprehensions were entertained.  In the afternoon he appeared much better, and was in a cheerful happy frame of mind.  Mr. Henry PARMITER, a medical student, took tea with him in his room, and about half-past five, Mr. ENSOR went out to walk across the corridor.  Immediately outside the room he fell and seemed as if he had fainted.  Assistance was called, and the Rev. J. G. DAVIS endeavoured  to restore him, but in vain, for in about two minutes the pulse was still.  The intelligence of his death created the most profound sorrow amongst all classes in Dorchester, for he was universally esteemed for his kindness of heart, frank demeanour, and amiability of character.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 11 January 1868, page 7

DORSET COUNTY HOSPTIAL. – The twenty-seventh annual meeting of the governors of this institution took place in the board-room of the hospital, on Monday, when there were present – Lord Digby (presiding), Mr. John Floyer, M.P., Rev. C. W. Bingham (hon. sec.), Rev. James Fisher, Rev. E. Pears, Rev. E. Ludlow, Rev. J. L. Nash, Messrs. G. Mayo, E. Pearce, J. F. Hodges, and R. Tooze. – The Rev. C. W. Bingham presented the annual report of the committee, which spoke of an unprecedented series of trials to which during the year the institution had been subjected – among others the loss of Mr. Thomas Patch of Dorchester, a valued member of the committee, and of Mr. Alfred Ensor, the house surgeon; and the resignation of the Rev. J. G. Davis, the late chaplain. Mr. W. F. Young has been elected house surgeon, and the Rev. John M. Evans chaplain. The total number of in-patients has been somewhat less than last year, namely, 391 against 427, but the daily average had been considerably greater, nearly four more. The expenditure has, however, been nearly identical with last year. The donations fell short of those of last year by nearly £150, and instead of a favourable balance of £51 19s. 8d., the committee owed a debt to the treasurer of £241. The duties of the institution had been well performed. The Rev. C. W. Bingham, in moving the adoption of the report, said that continued support was given by the people of Sherborne. The donations this year were only £6 10s. 6d., as against £294 16s. 3d. last year; the subscriptions £1134 against £1129 in 1866.

There had been an unexpected saving in the domestic expenditure. He complained of a large increase in the amount of rates and taxes, and said it seemed to him monstrous that charitable institutions should be so taxed. – Mr. Floyer, M.P., seconded the adoption of the report, and advised the committee to depend for payment of the balance against the institution to increased subscriptions, and not to sell out any stock. – The committee of management were re-appointed, and thanks having been voted to the physician and medical staff, and to the Chairman for presiding, the proceedings terminated. – The Chairman, in compliance with the request of the meeting, agreed to present the Hospital with a portrait of himself, to be placed among those of former presidents in the board-room of the institution.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Salisbury and Winchester Journal, Saturday 16 January 1869, page 7

DORSET COUNTY HOSPTIAL. – The twenty-ninth annual meeting of the governors of this institution was recently held, Lord Digby in the chair. The Rev. C. W. Bingham (the hon. sec.) presented the annual report of the committee for the past year, which was very satisfactory. The treasurer’s statement of accounts was next presented, and Mr. Bingham said it was very gratifying to find that since last year, when there was such a deficit, and the committee began to think they had almost exhausted the generosity of the county, they had received largely increased subscriptions. Although the number of patients had been more than usual, the quantity of meat consumed was less than in the preceding year; but he presumed that must have risen from exceptional causes. The cost of bread was rather in excess of the previous year; but a large saving had been effected in the whole of the surgical departments, the chief items upon which the accounts were reduced being lint, bottles, and tow. Gas had been introduced into the wards since last year, yet a saving had also been effected in that account. – The Rev. C. W. Bingham moved that the report be received, adopted, and printed, as usual, under the direction of the committee. – Mr. J. Floyer, M.P., had great pleasure in seconding the adoption of the report. He hoped the present prosperity of the institution would not be any cause of relaxation, but that they would continue to exercise that diligance and care over the property entrusted to their hands during the coming year which had been manifested in the past. – The motion was carried unanimously. – The Rev. E. Headland moved that the following gentleman be requested to act on the committee during the ensuing year : – The Rev. T. A. Falkner, Rev. M. J. Green, Rev. E. Ludlow, Rev. G. L. Nash, Rev. T. W. Knipe, Mr. E. W. Williams, Mr. E. Burnett, Mr. J. Mayo, Mr. J. G. Symes, Mr. J. Johnson, Mr. R. Genge, and Mr. R. Davis. – Mr. J. Floyer, M.P., seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously. – The Rev. M. J. Green proposed a vote of thanks to the committee. – The Rev. C. W. Bingham acknowledged the compliment, and proposed a vote of thanks to the noble lord in the chair. – Mr. J. F. Hodges seconded the motion, which was carried by acclamation. – The Chairman having briefly acknowledged the compliment, the proceedings terminated.

Advertisements