Committee meetings 1879-86

< Skip to previous volume of minutes

The following notes have been extracted from the Minutes of the Committee of Management 1879-86 held at the Dorset History Centre (NG/HH/DO(C)/1/2/6).


1879 continued

Thursday, 28 August 1879

  • The matron complained “of the great difficulty she had in making the female patients do plain needlework for the Hospital – They are quite able to do their own fancy-work; but they will not work for the good of the House”. She asked that a sign of the rules relating to needlework be printed and put up in the wards.

Thursday, 11 September 1879

  • The Committee wanted it understood that no work may be done by the patients contrary to the order of their medical attendants.

Thursday, 18 September 1879

  • “The Committee decided that nurse Bullock should leave today with payment up to this day”.

Thursday, 25 September 1879

  • The washerwoman was given a month’s notice (due to the quality of the washing).

Thursday, 12 December 1879

  • Dispute with Miss Pearce over whether she can come in to read to the patients. “They [the Committee] consider the resident Chaplain to be responsible for the instruction of the patients”.



Thursday, 1 January 1880

  • Miss Pearce, in defiance of the Committee’s instruction, has come into the hospital again to read to the patients.

Thursday, 8 January 1880

  • It was found that Miss Pearce had been given permission by the house surgeon.

Thursday, 15 January 1880

  • A complaint was made by patient James Phillips against Nurse Chard.

Thursday, 22 January 1880

  • The complaint against Nurse Chard was investigated – “the fault appears to have been on the part of the patient”.

Thursday, 18 March 1880

  • “A serious question having arisen respecting an enquiry alleged to be an improper one, made of Nurse Body* by the Matron … In the course of the investigation other matters came to the knowledge of the Committee, which appear to them to demand very early consideration”. [*Or ‘Boddy’ – see the note for 15 April 1880]

Thursday, 25 March 1880

  • The porter quit following an enquiry.

Thursday, 15 April 1880

  • “Resolved that Nurse Boddy be dismissed with a month’s wages, as soon as her foot is well enough”.

Thursday, 22 April 1880

  • Applications received for the post of porter:

*Jas. Windsor – Fordington – aged 46

*Frank Squires – Wolverton – aged 32

J. H. Kellaway – Poole

Thos. George – Blandford – aged 23

*Josh. Hindess – Dorchester – aged 41

*The Committee considered these three candidates suitable and requested them to attend before the Committee on 29 April.

Thursday, 29 April 1880

  • The three candidates for the post of porter appeared before the Committee. It was decided to postpone the decision in order to get testimonials from Jas. Harding, James Kellaway and Thomas George.

Thursday, 13 May 1880

  • Charles Harding was appointed porter. [His first name keeps changing in the minutes – under the entry dated 29 April it was ‘James’]

Thursday, 17 June 1880

  • There was an escape of gas in the children’s ward.

Thursday, 22 July 1880

  • Mrs. H. Williams donated £500 in memory of her late husband (who had been treasurer to the hospital).

Thursday, 12 August 1880

  • Mary Sprackling, cook, received a payment “in consideration of her long and faithful services”.
  • “The Porter undertook to clothe himself for a sum of £6 per annum & to appear specially tidy on Thursdays – This arrangement to be altered at any time if not found to answer”

Thursday, 9 September 1880

  • There was a complaint from the Medical Committee against the house surgeon. Discussion was deferred until an investigation had been carried put.

Thursday, 16 September 1880

  • It was found that the complaint against the house surgeon was too general – the Medical Committee were asked to be specific.

Thursday, 23 September 1880

  • The house surgeon (Messum) was told to resign.

Thursday, 7 October 1880

  • The house surgeon had tended his resignation.

Thursday, 21 October 1880

  • Mrs. Bingham, the chapel harmoniumist, is obliged to cease due to ill health. The chaplain was requested to look into hiring a paid replacement.

Thursday, 11 November 1880

  • Miss Osborne was appointed harmoniumist at £12 per annum.

Thursday, 18 November 1880

  • Complaints were received about the inferior quality of the potatoes.



Thursday, 20 January 1881

  • It was reported that John Brown, the clerk, had died.

Thursday, 27 January 1881

  • Annual meeting – the election of the house surgeon:

Mr. William Llewellyn Price Bevan – received 57 votes

Mr. William Mc. Macartney – received 37 votes

Thursday, 3 February 1881

  • The porter resigned.
  • The meat was complained of.

Thursday, 10 February 1881

  • Mr. Bevan will not take up the appointment as house surgeon. Macartney to be contacted to take up the post.
  • Walter Groves was appointed temporary clerk.

Thursday, 24 February 1881

  • There were 14 applicants for the post of porter:
Wm. Stevens 38 yrs. Married      –
Wm. Woodsford 31      do. 3 Children
Chas. Gill 26      do. 1      ”            9 mos.
Wm. Wheeler 50      do.      –
Geo. Swyre 36      do. 1      ”            2 yrs.
Robt. Riggs 23      do. 1      ”            8 mos.
Wm. Clark 43      do. 1      ”            4 yrs. eldest
Henry Smith 42      do.      –
Edward Davey 56      do. 1      ”            13 to 8 yrs.
Geo. Brinsley 24      do. 1      ”            3 mos.
Chas. Downton 40      do.      –
Thos. Jeans 30      do.      –
Henry Smith 40      do. 2      ”            3 yrs.
Samuel Mullett 26      do. 1      ”            12 mos.


Thursday, 17 March 1881

  • Walter Edwin Groves appointed clerk in place of the late Mr. Brown at £20 per annum.
  • The bread was complained of as sour and not sufficiently baked.

Thursday, 7 April 1881

  • Decided that the house surgeon must make an application to the Medical Committee before any photograph is taken of any case.

Thursday, 28 April 1881

  • The chaplain (Rev. R. E. Harvey) gave three months’ notice.

Thursday, 19 May 1881

  • The washing was not being satisfactorily done by the Dorchester Steam Laundry Co. The matron (Miss Feek) was authorised to give it to a private washerwoman she knows at Upwey.

Thursday, 4 August 1881

  • The clerk to write to Mr. Gould, the contractor for painting the windows, that if the work is not completed forthwith, and the windows broken by his men are not replaced, another contractor will do it at his expense.

Thursday, 8 December 1881

  • The Committee chairman, the Rev. Charles William Bingham, has died.



Thursday, 2 February 1882

  • Permission was granted to Dr. Lush for his pupil Mr. H. Symonds to attend “the practice of the Hospital”.

Thursday, 16 February 1882

  • A proposal to invite “some ladies of the town” to form a visiting committee for the female and children’s wards was tabled. The proposal was withdrawn after discussion.

Thursday, 30 March 1882

  • It was resolved to ask the chaplain for an explanation of why he was now non-resident, as his request to reside outside of the Hospital had been refused.

Thursday, 6 April 1882

  • The following resolutions were discussed:

(1) That the chaplain may be allowed to reside outside the hospital. Negatived by six votes to three.

(2) That Mr. Bankes be requested, in the interests of the hospital, to reconsider his proposal to withdraw from office as chairman of the committee. Carried by 15 votes to 1.

(3) That a reason be given to the matron for the request made by the Committee that she should resign. Carried.

(4) That the following reason be given – “That she has not the Confidence of the Majority of the Committee”. Carried.

Thursday, 13 April 1882

  • Election of chairman to the place of Mr. W. A. Bankes to be held on 27 April. [Seems he also resigned from the Committee. It is not explicitly stated in the minutes, but it seems he resigned over the issue of giving the matron her notice]

Thursday, 20 April 1882

  • On the afternoon of the previous day the matron and house surgeon had both been absent in the afternoon, contrary to the rules.

Thursday, 27 April 1882

  • Mr. E. W. Williams was elected chairman.

Thursday, 4 May 1882

  • Report by the public analyst for the Borough of Dorchester on the quality of the milk supplied to the hospital.

Thursday, 11 May 1882

  • Salary of the house surgeon was raised from £80 to £100 per annum (which he requested on 13 April).

Thursday, 1 June 1882

  • Miss Feek tendered her resignation – to be taken as three months’ notice.

Thursday, 8 June 1882

  • The wording for the matron’s advertisement was agreed.
  • Miss Osborne resigned as chapel harmoniumist.

Thursday, 15 June 1882

  • The Committee agreed Miss Feek’s request that she vacate her post on 29 June.

Thursday, 29 June 1882

  • Miss Feek was thanked for the careful way in which she had drawn up the inventory.
  • The cook (unnamed) gave a month’s notice.

Thursday, 4 July 1882

  • The chaplain (the Rev. H. E. Harvey) gave in his notice.
  • There were 34 candidates for the post of matron. Those to be interviewed to be selected on 13 July. The election will take place on 20 July.

Thursday, 13 July 1882

  • The following candidates for the post of matron were proposed and seconded:

Mrs. Gregory*

Miss Ogston

Miss Powne*

Miss Strange*

Miss Lloyd

Miss James

Those marked with an asterisk were selected for interview on 20 July.

  • The stipend for the chaplain was increased to £75 per annum, plus board and rooms.
  • Miss E. A. Groves was elected organist at £12 per annum in place of Miss Osborne.

Thursday, 20 July 1882

  • Miss Strange elected matron.
  • Reported that Mr. John Galpin (one of the honorary secretaries) had died.

Thursday, 3 August 1882

  • Ordered that the advertisement for the chaplaincy post be published in the Dorset County Chronicle.

Thursday, 7 September 1882

  • The Committee received the resignation of John Good as honorary surgeon.

Thursday, 5 October 1882

  • The Committee received the resignation of Mr. Tudor as honorary surgeon.
  • Extraordinary general meeting – discussion of increasing the number of surgeons. [It is unclear what the outcome was.]



Thursday, 18 January 1883

  • Mr. Everett was appointed chaplain.

Thursday, 19 April 1883

  • “On application of Mr. Fisher for permission to purchase a set of antiseptic appliances the Committee agreed unanimously and desired that he be requested to buy the same for £10 as he kindly offered”.

Thursday, 3 May 1883

  • The Rev. A. Drury was appointed as resident chaplain at £75 per annum. [In the minutes of the meeting of 5 July he is referred to as Rev. E. C. Drury.]
  • A cheque was signed for Mr. Fisher for £10 for antiseptic appliances.

Thursday, 10 May 1883

  • Brass to the memory of Canon Bingham to be affixed to the chapel wall.

Thursday, 26 July 1883

  • The Committee discussed the heating of the long wards.

Thursday, 9 August 1883

  • The bread complained of. The contractor was changed.

Thursday, 30 August 1883

  • A legacy had been received from  the late Mrs. St. John.

Thursday, 4 October 1883

  • A cheque for £3. 18s. 0d. was signed for “Servants Beer Money”.

Thursday, 18 October 1883

  • A new kitchen range was ordered.
  • A legacy of £50 from the late Miss Foot of Broadmayne was received from Edwin Burnett, Esq.

Thursday, 1 November 1883

  • The Committee agreed to heat the long ward on the second floor.

Thursday, 29 November 1883

  • The Committee was told that Colonel Oldfield had died.



Thursday, 24 April 1884

  • The Committee was informed of the death of M. Devenish, Esq.

Thursday, 1 May 1884

  • The managers of Salisbury Infirmary have suggested that Dorset County Hospital share the cost of Counsel’s opinion regarding duty payable on the late Archdeacon Huxtable’s legacies to various institutions. The hospital’s committee declined.
  • The bread and potatoes were deemed to be of inferior quality – the contractor to be sent a warning.

Thursday, 5 June 1884

  • A legacy of £1,000 new 3% stock had been received from the Earl of Sandwich.

Thursday, 12 June 1884

  • A legacy of £100 had been received from Mrs. Castleman.

Thursday, 10 July 1884

  • The Committee agreed to increase the porter’s wages by 2/- per week.

Thursday, 25 September 1884

  • The Committee agreed to increase the salary of Carter, the dispenser, by £10 per annum.
  • A cheque for £2. 3. 0. was signed for the porter’s “Wages and Beer Money”.

Thursday, 30 October 1884

  • The Medical Committee were asked to recommend the most serviceable bedstead.

Thursday, 13 November 1884

  • The Medical Committee recommended the “Tait Pattern” bedsteads. One was ordered as a pattern.

Thursday, 27 November 1884

  • The chaplain’s request for a salary increase was refused owing to there being no funds.

Thursday, 4 December 1884

  • A sub-committee investigated (unspecified) allegations from Mr. Emson regarding patient Matilda Gifford and found them “quite groundless”.

Thursday, 18 December 1884

  • The Committee received Miss Strange’s resignation (with three months’ notice).
  • A letter to be sent to Mr. Emson asking that if he has any definite charge against any officer of the hospital he provided the name(s) so that they may provide an answer.



Thursday, 8 January 1885

  • Mr. Emson appeared before the Committee but refused to make any accusation against anyone; the Committee investigated as far as they could but found no irregularity or unfairness.

Thursday, 15 January 1885

  • The house surgeon (Macartney) was requested to “order 20 Bedsteads “Tait” pattern from Messrs. Whitfield & Co., at 40/- each and 6 accident Bedsteads of the pattern no. C.1005 in Peytons’ Catalogue”.

Thursday, 5 February 1885

  • A sub-committee was appointed to select a new matron.

Thursday, 12 February 1885

  • The sub-committee shortlisted the following candidates:

Miss Beachcroft

Miss G. Brown*

Miss Hartley

Miss Middleton

Miss Peskett

Miss Sackett*

Miss Twinning*

The Management Committee added the following to the list:

Miss Croft

Miss King

Miss Powne

The three marked with an asterisk were selected for interview on 19 February. Rail fares and expenses to be paid.

Thursday, 19 February 1885

  • Miss Twinning was elected matron.

Thursday, 5 March 1885

  • “Proposed by Revd. M. Hankey, seconded by Revd. C. Sanctuary ‘The Committee have had their attention directed to Rule 89 with reference to the responsibility of the Matron for nursing the Patients, they therefore place on record their desire that the new Matron should fulfil her duties in this respect as defined by the Rule and feel confident that the Medical Officers will cooperate in carrying it out'”

Thursday, 19 March 1885

  • The Committee expressed their thanks to Miss Strange for her service.
  • A legacy of £200 was received from Mr. John Penney.

Thursday, 9 April 1885

  • Gas apparatus for cooking was accepted on a month’s free trial.

Thursday, 23 April 1885

  • Permission was given to Mr. Alan Caruthers to practise as pupil in the hospital to Dr. Lush.
  • The possibility of getting larger and more roomy accommodation for the nurses was being looked into.

Thursday, 30 April 1885

  • Proposed by Mr. Crocker, seconded by Mr. Gregory “That as the Matron has stated her intention of making great alterations in the nursing and management of the Hospital she should be requested to furnish in writing to the Committee on Thursday May 7th a statement of such alterations in order that the Committee may consider the desirability or otherwise of the changes contemplated”. The motion was carried by a majority of 5 to 3 of the Committee (i.e. 8 committee members voted).

Thursday, 7 May 1885

  • Proposed by Rev. M. Hankey, seconded by Rev. J. A. Rideout “That the Committee have had Miss Twinning’s proposals before them, in reply they beg to express their entire confidence in her management”.
  • Permission was granted to Miss Twinning for Miss Shaw to come and complete her training as a nurse in the hospital.
  • Instructions were given to the matron to dismiss the cook at once without waiting for her month to expire.

Thursday, 21 May 1885

  • It was resolved that the sub-committee for considering the better arrangement of the hospital be re-appointed and they were instructed to consult with the medical staff, also that Captain Smith was added to the sub-committee.

Thursday, 28 May 1885

  • “Miss Twinning’s letter was read and discussed and consent was given for Miss Shaw to go into training”.

Thursday, 4 June 1885

  • It was ordered that hot water be laid on in the scullery.

Thursday, 25 June 1885

  • The gas stove was retained on hire for another quarter of a year.

Thursday, 2 July 1885

  • “Miss Twinning is requested to communicate with Miss Strange and enquire if any increase of salary was promised to Nurse Reynolds”.

Thursday, 9 July 1885

  • Hot water to be laid on in the ward sculleries of the men’s and women’s wards.
  • Leave was granted to Miss Twinning for four days – Miss Singer to act as matron in her absence.

Thursday, 6 August 1885

  • It was agreed to appoint an architect to draw up plans for providing additional accommodation for the nurses and hot water throughout the hospital.

Thursday, 27 August 1885

  • A legacy of £45 was received from Miss Batson.
  • The matron’s attention was drawn to a resolution passed at a Committee meeting on 18 March 1875.

Thursday, 17 September 1885

  • Permission was given to Mr. S. H. Snook to attend the hospital for three months instruction in pharmacy on the application of Dr. Lush.

Thursday, 24 September 1885

  • Two gas stoves were purchased at a cost of £23. 11. 0.
  • “A letter from the Matron was read asking the direction of the Committee as the House Surgeon had objected to her presence in the Wards. The House Surgeon was called in and informed that according to Rule 89 the Matron’s supervision of the nursing was specially required and that this involved her presence in all the Wards whenever she may think fit.”

Thursday, 8 October 1885

  • The in-patients listed as discharged included Eleanor Miller with the words “with mother”.



Thursday, 21 January 1886

  • Annual general meeting – Alteration to rule 37 unanimously agreed: “But no Governor shall be eligible for election who is directly or indirectly interested in any Contract or in providing any supplies for the Hospital”.

Thursday, 4 February 1886

  • “The resignation of the Matron was accepted”.

Thursday, 25 February 1886

  • The surgeons were given permission to borrow instruments for operations outside of the hospital.

Thursday, 4 March 1886

  • A sub-committee of three was appointed to shortlist applications for the post of matron.
  • Resolution deferred: “In consequence of the new system of management lately introduced, it is very desirable that some change should take place in the resident Hospital Staff and whilst fully acknowledging the valuable services of the House Surgeon during a period of five years, which exceeds by two years the usual tenure of such appointments the Committee consider it is now in the interests of the Hospital that a fresh appointment to the Office of House Surgeon should take place”.

Thursday, 18 March 1886

  • The proposal that the house surgeon should leave was discussed – ten committee members spoke on the topic. The resolution was withdrawn “in order that it may be plain that no reflection is intended by the Committee to be made upon the character & professional ability of Mr. Macartney”.
  • The sub-committee for shortlisting matron applications submitted seven names as suitable; the Committee added a further two names to the shortlist (those marked with an asterisk):
    • Miss Henderson
    • Miss Bird
    • Miss Taylor
    • Miss Hull
    • Miss Aisbitt [?] – selected for interview on 25 March
    • Miss Lawson – selected for interview on 25 March
    • Miss Hartley
    • Miss Wade* – selected interview on 25 March
    • Miss Goring*
  • Railways fares and expenses to be paid. Miss Wade resided in Ireland and was allowed a sum not exceeding £50 to include all expenses.
  • Legacy of £100 free of duty received from Mr. J. Colson.

Thursday, 25 March 1886

  • A letter was received from Miss Twining requesting to be allowed to withdraw her resignation. The Committee agreed to her request.
  • A resoltuon “That in the interest of this Hospital Mr Macartney be asked to resign [crossed out] be given 3 months notice to leave” – on a show of hands being called this resolution was lost as 2/3rds majority was required and 12 out of 21 voted for it.

Thursday, 1 April 1866

  • The house surgeon gave 3 months notice and was granted permission to leave sooner if he might desire to do so.

Thursday, 22 April 1886

  • The Committee thanked Miss Panton for having acted for so long as honorary organist and regretted her resignation.

Thursday, 29 April 1886

  • “The Minutes of the last Meeting of the Medical Staff were read and it was resolved that they could not be entertained in their present form by the Committee of Management”.
  • Miss Woodward was given permission to come for 6 months as pupil nurse on a payment of £15 for that period.
  • “Letters marked A. & B. on file were received from Miss Twining and Miss Fisher, in answer to which the Committee passed the following resolution, on the proposal of Lieut. General Henning and seconded by Major Churchill:

Dr. Lush having refused to be present and assist in an operation in the presence of the Matron or any of the Day Nurses, and Mr. Fisher being unable to conduct the operation referred to without professional help, the Committee instructs the Chairman to write immediately to one of the Consulting Surgeons inviting assistance to Mr. Fisher in conducting this operation.”

  • The Committee recorded that they were giving a letter from Miss Twining “serious consideration” and authorised her to engage an additional temporary nurse.
  • The chaplain asked for permission to withdraw his resignation. Granted.

Thursday, 20 May 1886

  • Fifteen application for the post of house surgeon had been received and were passed to the Medical Committee for their report.

Thursday, 27 May 1886

  • Mr. F. J. Malden was appointed house surgeon.

Thursday, 17 June 1886

  • The late Mrs. Herbert Williams had left gas shares in trust for Mrs. Bingham, the widow of the Rev. Winyard Bingham, which will then go to the hospital on Mrs. Bingham’s death.


Skip to next volume of minutes >