Trade Directories

As well as providing the names of key officials and staff, trade directories also give information on the number of beds and patients, and the extensions and alterations to the original hospital building.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post Office Directory of Dorsetshire and Wiltshire, 1849, page 2667

Dorset County Hospital, Arthur Henry Dyke ACLAND, esq. chairman; Rev. Charles W. BINGHAM, vice-chairman; Rev. William SMITH, chaplain; Francis JACKSON, esq. physician; George CURME, esq. W. D. TAPP, esq. visiting surgeons; Richard C. SHETTLE, esq. house surgeon; Mrs. DANCY, matron.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post Office Directory, 1855, page 31

The Dorset County Hospital, in the south part of the town, in a very healthy situation, and overlooking a large nursery-ground, was built in 1841 by Samuel Slade and Goddard, from designs by Benjamin Ferrey, Esq., in the Tudor style; at present it furnishes accommodation for 33 in-door patients, but possesses ample room for a larger number, according to the requirements of the county and the amount of contributions.

Page 36

Dorset County Hospital, the Right Hon. the Earl of llchester, patron; H. C. Sturt, esq. John Floyer, esq. & Robert Williams, esq. trustees; Herbert Williams, esq. treasurer; Thomas Combs & E. Pearce, esqrs. auditors; William Bridge & J. Garland, esqrs. honorary secretaries; Rev. C. W. Bingham, chairman; H. N. Middleton, esq. vice-chairman ; Rev. William Buller, chaplain; Rev. J. B. Austis, curate; Dr. Cowdell, physician; C. Arden, esq. consulting surgeon; W. D. Tapp & G. Curme, esqrs. surgeons; Mr. W. G. Bacot, house apothecary & secre­tary; Mrs. Dancy, matron; Mr. John Brown, clerk.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Harrod’s Directory, Dorset and Wiltshire, 1865, page 65

The Dorset County Hospital, is situated at the south part of the town in a beautiful and healthy situation, and overlooking a large nursery-ground, was built in 1841.  It is in the Tudor style ; it furnishes accommodation for a large number of in-door patients.

Page 68

Dorset County Hospital–the Hon. the Earl of ILCHESTER, patron; H. C. STURT, Esq., John FLOYER, Esq., M.P., and Robert WILLIAMS, Esq., trustees; Herbert WILLIAMS, Esq., treasurer; Thomas COOMBS and E. PEARCE, Esqrs., auditors; J. R. TOOZE, Esq., honorary secretary; Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, chairman; H. N. MIDDLETON, Esq., vice-chairman; Rev. G. DAVIS, chaplain; Dr. COWDELL, physician; John TUDOR, Esq., consulting surgeon; G. CURME, Esq., surgeon; Mr. EVANS, house apothecary and secretary; Mrs. DANCY, matron; Mr. John BROWN, clerk.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post Office Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset, 1875, page 750

The Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, was built in 1841, in the Tudor style, and a new wing added in 1866: at present it furnishes accommodation for 60 in-door patients, but possesses ample room for a larger number. H.R.H. the Prince of WALES, K.G., patron; the Right Hon. Lord DIGBY, president; Herbert WILLIAMS, esq ., treasurer; E. PEARCE and J. M. LUSH, esqrs., auditors; J. R. TOOZE, esq. and J.P. HODGES, honorary secretaries; Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, chairman; H. N. MIDDLETON, esq., vice-chairman; Rev. J. W. G. EDWARDS, M.A., chaplain; Dr. Wm. J. LUSH, physician; George CURM [sic, CURME], consulting surgeon; D. C. DAVIDSON, house surgeon and secretary; John BROWN, clerk.

Page 791

The Dorset County Hospital, in the south part of town, and in a very healthy situation, was built in 1841 by Samuel Slade and Goddard, from designs by Benjamin FERREY, esq., in the Tudor style, and a new wing added in the year 1866: at present it furnishes accommodation for 60 in- door patients, but possesses ample room for a larger number.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kelly’s Directory, 1880, page 827

The Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, was built in 1841, in the Tudor style, and a new wing added in 1866: at present it furnishes accommodation for 60 in-door patients, but possesses ample room for a larger number.  H.R.H The Prince of WALES, K.G. patron; the Right Hon. Lord DIGBY, president; Herbert WILLIAMS, esq. treasurer; E. PEARCE and J. M. LUSH, esqrs. auditors; J. R. TOOZE, esq. and J. F. HODGES, honorary secretaries; Rev. C. W. BINGHAM, chairman; H. N. MIDDLETON, esq., vice-chairman; Rev. J. W. G. EDWARDS, M.A. chaplain; Dr. Wm. J. LUSH, physician; J. A. B. G. MESSUM, house surgeon and secretary; John BROWN, clerk.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kelly’s Directory of Dorsetshire, 1889, page 1154

The Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, was built in 1841, in the Tudor style, and a wing added in 1866: at present it has beds for 6o patients [note that page 1210 says 50 patients], but possesses ample room for a larger number. Robert WILLIAMS, jun. treasurer; William George Vawdrey LUSH M.D. physician; John TUDOR and John GOOD, consulting surgeons; George Aldridge GEORGE L.R.C.P.Lond. Frederick Bazley FISHER L.R.C.P.Lond. and William Ernest GOOD L.R.C.P.Edin. surgeons; Thomas Francis SHACKLETON, house surgeon and secretary; Rev. Randolph Charles MARRIOTT M.A. chaplain; George M. ARCHDALE, auditor; H. DURDEN and G. J. G. GREGORY, financial secretaries; Walter E. GROVES, clerk.

Page 1210

The Dorset County Hospital, situated in Princes street, is in the Tudor style, and was established in 1841 ; a wing was added in the year 1866; at present it has beds for 50 patients, with a daily average of 46, but possesses ample room for a. larger number.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kelly’s Directory, 1903, page 5

The Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, was built in 1841, in the Tudor style, and a new wing added in 1866 and a new operating theatre in 1903; it has beds for 50 patients; Robert WILLIAMS, esq. M.P.; treasurer; William George Vawdrey LUSH M.D. hon. physician; John TUDOR M.R.C.S. Eng. and Frederick Bazley FISHER L.R.C.P. Lond. consulting surgeons; William Ernest GOOD L.R.C.P. Edin. and Wm. Burrough COSENS L.R.C.P. Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng. hon. surgeons; Charles S. PRIDEAUX L.D.S.R.C.S. Eng. hon. surgeon dentist; Harold Rundle Fitz NATTLE L.R.C.P. Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng. house surgeon; Rev. Randolph Charles MARRIOTT M.A. chaplain; R. C. BURATON, auditor; C. HANSFORD and Rev. J. McClune UFFEN, financial secretaries; Miss J. E. EDWARDS, matron; Walter E. GROVES, clerk; C. T. CARTER, dispenser.

Page 76

Dorset County Hospital, Princes street, Capt. J. E. ACLAND, chairman; H. S. WILLIAMS esq. vice-chairman; Robert WILLIAMS, esq. M.P. treasurer; William G. V. LUSH M.D. hon. physician; John TUDOR M.R.C.S. & Frederick Bazley FISHER L.R.C.P. Lond. consulting surgeons; William Ernest GOOD L.R.C.P. Edin & William Burrough COSENS L.R.C.P. Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng. hon. surgeons; Charles S. PRIDEAUX L.D.S.R.C.S. Eng. hon. surgeon-dentist; Harold Rundle Fitz NATTLE M.R.C.S. Eng. & L.R.C.P. Lond. house surgeon; Rev. Randolph Charles MARRIOTT M.A. chaplain; R. C. BURSTON, auditor; C. HANSFORD & Rev. J. McClune UFFEN, financial secs; Miss J. E. EDWARDS, matron; Walter E. GROVES, clerk; C. T. CARTER, dispenser.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kelly’s Directory, 1911, page 5

The Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, was built in 1841, in the Tudor style, and a wing added in 1866 and a new operating theatre in 1903; it has beds for 50 patients; George Gavin MORRICE M.D., M.R.C.P.Lond. hon. physician; Frederic Bazley FISHER M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. consulting surgeon; William Ernest GOOD L.R.C.P.Edin., M.R.C.S.Eng. William Burrough COSENS L.R.C.P.Lond. M.R.C.S.Eng. & Benjamin William Nettlefold GOWRING M.D.Durh., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. hon. surgeons; Charles S. PRIDEAUX L.D.S.R.C.S.Eng. hon. surgeon-dentist; John Allen NOBLE M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. house surgeon; Rev. Randolph Charles MARRIOTT M.A. chaplain; H. F. WHITLEY, auditor; Capt. D. GRANVILLE & Major William Alexander CAMPBELL, financial secretaries; Walter E. GROVES, clerk; C. T. CARTER dispenser; Miss J. E. EDWARDS, matron.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kelly’s Directory, 1927, page 83

The Dorset County Hospital, in Princes street, was established in 1841.  A wing was added in 1866, a new operating theatre in 1903, an annexe on the south side, containing eight small wards, in 1926, and an ophthalmic room in 1927; it is a building in the Tudor style, and has beds for 100 patients, the weekly average of in-patients being about 43 and of out-patients 350.

Advertisements