Notes from annual reports 1896-1926

Annual report for 1896 (published January 1897) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/1 

  • Page 4: C. S. Prideaux was elected honorary dental surgeon in May 1896. By the time of the report he had already attended 157 cases, five being dental operations under anaesthetic.
  • Page 25: The balance sheet lists “Special Nurse instructing Nurses in Massage – £15 0. 0.”

Annual report for 1902 (published January 1903) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/1

  • Page 4: In-patients admitted 299; Out-patients admitted 1,006; Dental cases 358; Casual cases 281; Under all heads 1,944. Surgical operations 80 (1901) and 89 (1902); surgical in-patients admitted 172 (1901) and 159 (1902).
  • Page 5: “The Operating Room is on the level of the first floor, standing on solid stone piers and arches, at the back of the Hospital; it is reached from the main corridor through an ante-room, to be used for the administration of anaesthetics. The floor is laid with Ebner’s Terrazo pavement, and the walls are lined with Keene’s cement covered with Ripolin enamel, this avoiding all joints, which are an objectionable feature when tiles and mosaics are used. The selection of the various fittings and appliances has been made without attempting to embark in costly and elaborate inventions.”
  • Page 5: “The Lift, supplied by Messrs. Waygood, of London, adjoins the anaesthetic room, and is large enough to take a patient lying on a couch. It is a hand-power lift, and can be worked either from above or below or from the case itself, and has already proved extremely useful, avoiding the necessity of carrying patients up and down the stairs on a stretcher”.
  • Page 6: “Swanage stone has been used to match the rest of the building”.
  • Page 19: Treves donated £5 5s. 0. to the operating room fund.
  • Supplement to the report: “Operating Room Fund. Statement of Accounts”. Messrs. Waygood, hand-power lift – £100 0. 0. Bayley, Lift Ambulance – £8 15. 0.
  • Inserted in the minutes is an invitation to the opening of the new operating room: “On the arrival of Sir Frederick Treves, an inspection will be made of the new building, and he will be asked to declare the room open. A short prayer of Dedication will be said by the Ven. The Archdeacon of Dorset”. The gathering then adjourned to the large Convalescent Ward where votes of thanks were given. “The proceedings will be short, as Sir Frederick Treves is obliged to leave by an afternoon train for London”.

Annual report for 1903 (published February 1904) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/1 

  • Page 5: “We are also able to announce that an installation of the Rontgen, or X Rays has been most kindly presented to the Hospital by the Ladies of Dorset, which will be available (under certain conditions) for use throughout the County…”

Annual report for 1904 (published February 1905) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/1 

  • Page 4: The Prince of Wales became a vice-patron of the hospital by virtue of a donation of £50.

Annual report for 1905 (published January 1906) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/1 

  • Page 6: “…a scheme which was instituted in the course of the year by a number of ladies, with the object of supplying the Hospital with house linen, blankets, and bed jackets. There are already 21 members and many associates in this “Ladies’ Guild”, who contributed last year 314 articles, with a total value of about £43”.
  • Back cover: A photograph of the hospital.

Annual report for 1909 (published January 1910) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 6: “A Horse Ambulance has been given as a Thank-offering for the recovery of his Son by Mr. Duncan Stewart Ellsworth of New York, to the Dorset County Hospital and such others as may be in need, subject to the control of the Hospital Authorities”.
  • Page 6: There was a Special General Meeting on 5 May altering Rule 34 so that all members of the Honorary Medical Staff are also Members ex-officio of the Committee.

Annual report for 1910 (published January 1911) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 7: A coach house was erected for the ambulance.

Annual report for 1916 (published January 1917) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 6: No. 1 Alexander Terrace acquired for better accommodation of the nursing staff.

Annual report for 1917 (published January 1918) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 6: “No structural work has been carried out during the year but the equipment of the Hospital has received an important addition by the purchase of appliances for the treatment of patients by electricity and radiant heat. A small ward has been fitted up for this purpose, and a sister duly qualified to carry on the work of electric therapeutics and massage has been added to the staff”.

Annual report for 1918 (published January 1919) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 19: Accounts (expenditure): Radiant heat appliances £89 5. 0.

Annual report for 1919 (published January 1920) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 4: An annotation notes that Mrs. Acland was elected to the management committee in 1920.
  • Page 8: Rev. R. C. Marriott died in December 1919 had been chaplain for 31 years.

Annual report for 1921 (published January 1922) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2

  • Page 4: Hon. Pathologist – Dr. J. Oliver Hamilton, M.B., Ch.B. (Edin.) [Not in the report for the previous year]

Annual report for 1924 (published January 1925) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 7: “Massage, Medical Gymnastics and Electricity Department” delivering 5,832 treatments to 185 patients.

Annual report for 1925 (published January 1926) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Page 7: “On the 2nd September, Dr. Aldred Brown, B.R., B.M., B.C.H. (Oxon.), was appointed Honorary Pathologist in the place of Doctor Hamilton”.
  • Page 8: Charles Prideaux resigned as honorary dental surgeon on 1 April and appointed consulting dental surgeon.
  • Page 9: 213 dental patients had procedures requiring gas.
  • Page 10: “The new Electric Lift is now in working order and will be the greatest boon to suffering patients and also at times to the Staff generally”.

Annual report for 1927 (published January 1928) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Between pages 4 and 5: Photographs of the annex and the women’s ward.
  • Between pages 22 and 23: Photographs of the men’s ward and the children’s ward.
  • Between pages 38 and 39: A photograph of the chapel.

Annual report for 1928 (published January 1929) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Opposite the title page: A photograph of Lord Ellenborough.
  • Between pages 10 and 11: Photographs of the new ambulance and the massage room. 

Annual report for 1929 (published January 1930) NG/HH/DO(C)/2/1/2 

  • Opposite the title page: A photograph of the matron (Miss E. Hill), sisters and nursing staff.
Advertisements