Patient Case Study: Hawkins, Thomas

In-patient, 1858


Hospital Dorset County Hospital Patient type In-patient
Number 4173 Date admitted 4 Feb 1858
Name Hawkins, Thos. Renewed
Age 18 Under whose care Mr. Tapp
Occupation Labourer Disease Stricture of urethra. [Added later] calculus vesicae
Parish Kingston Winterborne Discharged 3 Apr 1858
Recommended by The Blandford Union Outcome Cured
Source Dorset History Centre, Dorset County Hospital in-patient admissions register 1847-59, NG/HH/DO(C)/5/2/1



  1. “REMOVAL OF STONE. Thomas Hawkins, admitted February 11, 1858, reported to be suffering from symptoms of stone. On admission an attempt was made to pass a sound, but it could not be done, owing to spasmodic structure ; the next day, and a day or two after that, attempts were made, but without success ; the sound passing some way down the urethra, but causing great pain, and the water flowing when the attempts were persevered with. Under these circumstances, and as the urine deposited a large quantity of tenacious mucus similar to that obtained in catarrh of bladder, it was resolved to treat him on that principle, by warm hip-baths, etc. ; this somewhat improved his condition ; and one day when trying again to pass a catheter, the instrument came down upon a hard body, evidently a stone in the urethra, one end of which was situated about one inch below the lower border of the scrotum. The man called my attention to a hard body, which he now told me he had found come down and go back again since September. He further informed me that since September, when re sat, this body came down, but went back when he stood up ; he could not ride astride his horse in consequence of this body. On introducing the finger into the rectum, the stone could be felt in the urethra, and evidently of some size ; an incision was made in the middle line of the urethra, over the tumour, and a stone extracted weighing 2½ drachms. The man’s condition improved, and it was supposed we had got to the bottom of his troubles, but Mr. Tapp thought there might be another, perhaps, and a catheter was again passed some two or three days after, and another stone detected much in the same place, weighing 3½ drachms, and which was removed by slightly enlarging the first wound. The man recovered and was discharged quite well, April 8, 1858.” [Statistical report of the principle operations performed during the year 1857. Medical Times & Gazette, 1858, new series, vol. 16, p. 577]